Author Topic: Dealing with armor  (Read 6142 times)

kalbuth

• Always shoot, you never know
  • Administrator
Dealing with armor
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:06:55 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU0ZvP4JYVg&list=UU_DqLZEjMHMvSTyi1W89fBw&index=2&feature=plcp
Somethign we might want to try on a low level

To summarize :
* find cover
* have resupply
* use lock on rocket launchers
* concentrate fire : chose a type of threat to engage, always engage the frontal target so that everyone easily knows which to shoot and everyone shoots the same one

My main issue with this is being able to set ip all up in time at the correct place, not out of sync. Most of the time, I end up being late and the tank column is already far away
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:12:46 pm by kalbuth »

eeM

• Formido
Re: Dealing with armor
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »
What's the cost of lock-on rocket launchers?

Heavy assault isn't my favorite class (only maxes are worse) so I dont want to sink too many certpoints in it.

kalbuth

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:50:00 pm »
I've not checked.
It was 10K Aux in Aux times, the same as Skyguard

Seeing how SG has now sunk at 48 cert... maybe it's 48 certs? :P

kalbuth

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:48:21 pm »
Lock on rocket launcher is 96 Certs atm

eeM

• Formido
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »
Lock on rocket launcher is 96 Certs atm

Hmm. Since I wont be playing heavy as my main class, it'll be a whilte before I spend 96 certs on that.

RedFox

• [VGD] I need to throttle the missus' bandwidth...
  • Formido
  • Out of bounds beacon deployer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:07:55 pm »
Hmm. Since I wont be playing heavy as my main class, it'll be a whilte before I spend 96 certs on that.
On the other hand, the only reason I put on a HA is to shoot at enemy armor, it's my preferred counter against them. So even though I won't play it a large percentage of time, it will benefit me. If you play something else against armor than better spend certs on that.

eeM

• Formido
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:46:26 pm »
On the other hand, the only reason I put on a HA is to shoot at enemy armor, it's my preferred counter against them. So even though I won't play it a large percentage of time, it will benefit me. If you play something else against armor than better spend certs on that.

I was thinking i'll just let somebody else take care of the armored targets ;-)

kalbuth

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »

So you'll need to take on a support role for this guy when going on AV duty

Main support roles :
1) Engineer. Must have
2) Medic. When we have enough HA and 1 Engie at least
3) AA MAX. When we have enough HA and 1 Engie at least

RedFox

• Formido
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 05:43:29 pm »
Well, in this respect PS2 is so much different from PS1. It is so easy to switch classes and the basic class (as in, no certs invested in it) already is very proficient in the core role of that class. So there is no real reason to wait for someone else to take care of whatever is at hand at that time.

kalbuth

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 05:58:20 pm »
Well, in this respect PS2 is so much different from PS1. It is so easy to switch classes and the basic class (as in, no certs invested in it) already is very proficient in the core role of that class. So there is no real reason to wait for someone else to take care of whatever is at hand at that time.
In this specific case, it's not the basic class anymore since we are talking about unlocking the lock-on rocket ;)

RedFox

• Formido
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:24:18 pm »
In this specific case, it's not the basic class anymore since we are talking about unlocking the lock-on rocket ;)
Fair 'nuff.

eeM

• Formido
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:41:14 pm »
at some point, everybody will have some lock-on av weapon. right now the 96 points seem expensive, but it'll be a logical choice when the alternatives are 480 point costing higher tier upgrades of, for example, flak armor.

Raoh

• Formido
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 12:38:45 am »
When it comes to armour, the tanks specifically - not sure if this applies to Sundys too - position is killer for taking them out.

The rear armour on tanks is super vulnerable and can't be reinforced; for example, it takes 3 HA rockets on the back of a Vanguard to take it out (when tested on NC) so should be the same or close as the other empires and similar for the other tanks. It can be hard to flank a good tank driver but at the moment many of them aren't the brightest and get into silly positions (too close to buildings/surrounded) but the tank physics and terrain don't usually help the drivers to be fair in many situations - I swear the Lightning can get stuck if you just glance in its direction. :)

Also, if you're sneaky I've found a C4 is very good on tanks at the rear if they're caught napping. :)

RedFox

• Formido
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:05:23 pm »
Also, if you're sneaky I've found a C4 is very good on tanks at the rear if they're caught napping. :)
I haven't played around with C4 yet. How many C4 charges does it take to bring down a MBT?

kalbuth

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »
Last patch just nerfed lock-on range for lock on unlock of rocket launcher.
I postponed my purchase of it until SOE makes a final decision :)